Does anyone know how one would be able to replicate photoshop's resolution option? I normally do not mess around with resolution.. but recently.. I changed the resolution value accidentally and had some pretty astounding results.

For those of you who have never used photoshop before.. the resolution option simply increases the number of pixels that are within every inch of a document. Ex: If a document started off displaying only 200 pixels per inch.. increasing the resolution would increase the number of pixels that are displayed in every inch.. from 200.. to say around 500 (for example) .

The only reason why anyone would actually want to display more pixels in every inch, is because the the more pixels that are displayed per inch.. the more detail will be captured/displayed in a given image (or at least that's the logic).

My question is.. exactly how would I go about increasing the number of pixels that are/will be displayed within every inch of a given document/or image my program creates?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Sorry.. I'm using Win32 for this :P

I've just learned that that increasing the number of pixels that are displayed per inch of a given document... is actually called sub pixel rendering. A very good explanation of sub level rendering.. can be found.. here:
http://www.grc.com/ctwhat.htm

The problem is.. I can not find a tutorial ANYWHERE that shows how a person would be able to simulate sub level rendering.. in a C++/Win32 program.

I know it is possible to do programmatically (as it has been done before.. photoshop is just one example.. it has also been done on the link I provided above).

Your help will be much appreciated.

>>
My question is.. exactly how would I go about increasing the number of pixels that are/will be displayed within every inch of a given document/or image my program creates?

hi , you can't increase the pixel values in the Device Coordinates. But you can
change your map mode to display higher resolution images.What your program
creates are in the format of logical coordinates then using the map mode you
can convert it into the Device coordinates.

refer Programming for windows, Charles Petzold chapter 5 GDI mapping modes.
Or refer to the MSDN documentation.

>> The problem is.. I can not find a tutorial ANYWHERE that shows how a person would be able to simulate sub level rendering.. in a C++/Win32 program.

as I know normal GDI didn't support subpixel level rendering , so you have to use
DirectDraw calls but don't know how to.

So DirectX does support subpixel rendering?

Thanks for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.