I've been programming in Java using Java SE, but I want to move on to Java EE. Is this a good idea? I used to think I had to pay to download the Java EE SDK, but that's not the case.

So, basically, I'm a bit confused about what Java EE offers that I can't do on SE. Does any of you lot use Java EE?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

"The Java EE platform is built on top of the Java SE platform. The Java EE platform provides an API and runtime environment for developing and running large-scale, multi-tiered, scalable, reliable, and secure network applications."

EE is used for developing large corporate-type apps in environments with big web servers and databases. Is that what you are thinking of doing? - if not SE is fine.

I think SE is fine for me. Thanks :D

If you want to develop for the web though things like Servlets and JavaServerPages(JSPs) that are available in JEE is some pretty neato stuff...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.