Write a program that reads a string from the user and generates a histogram for the characters encountered in this string. A histogram is a representation of how many times each character appears in the input string. Use function Histogram that takes the string as input and displays its histogram.

For example,

String: My name is Nermeen
Histogram //output
M       *
y         *
space  ***
n         **
a         *
m        **
e         ****
i         *
s         *
N        *
r         *

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            string Sentence = Console.ReadLine();
            char[] letters = Sentence.ToCharArray();
            for (int i = 0; i < letters.Length; i++)
            {
                int count = 0;
                for (int j = 0; j < letters.Length; j++)
                {
                    if (letters[i] == letters[j])
                        count++;

}
                for (int k = 0; k <count ; k++)

Console.Write("{0} : *",letters[i]);
                Console.WriteLine( );

}

}
    }
}

The problem in my code is that some characters get repeated for example m:if there is another m in another place the program writes it again m:.would you please correct the code for me so that i could the program as the output required by problem.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

i mean m : **

I could fix it for you, but this looks like an assignment and what would you learn?

Your problem is that you need to store each character, and a count of how many times it occurs. You need at least one more variable.

No,it is not an assignment it is a question in a book I have for learning c#. would you please declare it more for me what variable do I need.thanks

what advise would you give me to be a good programmer in c# . I'm still a beginner and I need help to know how to get to the right way . thanks :)

Well, you need something that holds the character and the current amount. Take a look at Dictionary<>. You could use the letter as the key and the count as the value.

You'll have to make sure there is an entry for the letter before you add it.

what is your advice to me to be a good programmer . thanks :D

I tried alot but I'm still having the same problem .Would you please help me more? thanks

thanks aloot for helping me . my program is solved

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.