Does anyone know COBOL? I need help with a program I am doing.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Post your problem, I'll see if I can help (though it has been many years since I've worked with COBOL :))

hey off topic, but how come older government agencies still use this language (like the social security admin)? Is it just because thats what the system was built on? Or are their particular advantages to this language.... Either way I know that they pay pretty well for people who know how to program in it.

hey off topic, but how come older government agencies still use this language (like the social security admin)? Is it just because thats what the system was built on? Or are their particular advantages to this language.... Either way I know that they pay pretty well for people who know how to program in it.

For the purpose it was created for, nothing is better than COBOL. There is a misconception about the language that it is old and decrepit. However, COBOL is one of the few languages that has been continuously improved and updated to keep up with the current needs of data manipulation. Did you know that the current COBOL ISO standard has made it more object ordinated than C++? Now, this doesn't mean you can use COBOL to replace your C++ apps. But, if you are dealing with huge amounts of data that needs to be munged, there is nothing that comes close to it.

Does anyone know COBOL? I need help with a program I am doing.

I did some COBOL in the 80's and 90's under DOS/VSE, MVS and VSE/ESA. Also, some MicroFocus Cobol under PC-DOS back in the day. What is your question?

Cobol was used earlier by most of the banks, but they have switched their systems to Teminos T24 systems which is more relevant to cobol.
You can search for " temenos t24 tutorial " on google

COBOL is in much more than just banks, ashelyedu12. It's used for the vast majority of business processing and nearly all the military and government systems in the US. And likely more so in other countries. For the kind of work it does, there's nothing else that can come close to it's capabilities.

I did some COBOL in the 80's and 90's under DOS/VSE, MVS and VSE/ESA. Also, some MicroFocus Cobol under PC-DOS back in the day. What is your question?

I'm sure after 4 months he's was just waiting for someone to ask him to post his question :icon_rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.