Originally I was using Office Interop to import data, but that was a headache and a half for both me and my computer. Right now I'm attempting to load it with ACE, but my data grid isn't being populated. Once that's up and running I need to know how to use that data in other ways, and how to grab specific cells of data from that dataset. I'm using Visual Studio 2008, by the way.

Public Function funcUpdate(ByVal sFileLoc As String) As Boolean
        'Determine connection string properties
        Dim dbProperty As String
        If updFileExt = ".xlsx" Then
            dbProperty = "Excel 12.0 Xml;HDR=No;IMEX=1"
        ElseIf updFileExt = ".xls" Then
            dbProperty = "Excel 12.0;HDR=No;IMEX=1"
        Else
            MessageBox.Show("FATAL: File type error on updater", "OHGAWDNO", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
            updateTerm()
            Return False
        End If
        Dim dbConn As New OleDb.OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=""" & updFile & """;Extended Properties=""" & dbProperty & """;")
        Dim dbCommand As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("select * from [sheet1$]", dbConn)
        Dim dtSet As New DataSet
        'dbCommand.TableMappings.Add("Table", "ExcelTest")
        dbCommand.Fill(dtSet)
        Form1.DataGrid1.DataSource = dtSet.Tables(0)
        dbConn.Close()

updateTerm()
    End Function

Sorry to bump this, but I have less than a week to finish this and I haven't been able to get help anywhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.