Hey everyone. I have an interesting perl idea, and am wondering if it's been done.

I would like to have a page on my website, where someone could go in and chat with me. I wouldl like it so that, a person (that I have given a user name and password to) could click a link that would bring them to a chat room, and wait for me to log on. As soon as they click that link, I would like the script to send a notification email to me (to two different addresses) to notify me that someone is waiting to chat with me, and put a link in the email that will bring me to the chat page to chat with them.

Basically, I would like a way for some people to get ahold of me if they have access to a computer. It would send an email to my phone and my gmail address, and if I'm near a computer I would get the notice, and get on with them.

And maybe as a bonus. If I don't answer the link in 5 minutes, it could maybe send them a message saying to try later, as I'm not in the vicinity of a computer. Or maybe even send them a little chat via my phone?

Ok, I'm going a little far, but any ideas?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hey nathanpacker. Are you still interested in this?

Yes. I found a few free chat clients that seem nice, but still nothing with notification features I'm looking for.
Thanks.

What type of system will this reside on? Windows? Linux?

I've written many programs like this on Linux systems.

It will be running on a Linux system with all the latest server scripting apps installed, PHP PERL, etc...

SO did u actually do something :? please share i also need it )

Considering the thread is more than 3 years old your chances of a reply are slim.

Check the dates before posting and better do some research too, since this thread is more than years old chances are that such a system might be in place at several places and you might also get help freely on it. No need to bring to life a three year old thread for that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.