Hello,

Is there a reference anywhere that I can find out the number of cycles each instruction takes for ia-32 processors?

I do not find this information in the docs, neither has much googling come up with anything.

Thanks,

Allasso

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Here is http://www.penguin.cz/~literakl/intel/intel.html instruction set with clocks

Keep in mind, in a multithreaded operating system, cycles are only realative as other concurrent processes are using CPU at same time, which will affect the throughput of application of interest.

perfect, thanks.

regarding your comment, I am assuming however, that it is still best to choose the combination of instructions that result in the fewest clocks (as if the program were the only thread) within a given program, no?

...it would be nice to find this on the pentiums as well. And all the rest out there...

Definately, as that is what I try to do with my apps, espcially those with high interation loops. I found that link pretty easy, so maybe do your query more like a question that keywords.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.