Hello,
My whole life I've wanted to make a video game. I've been influenced by notable programmers; Shigeru Miamoto and Tetsuya Nomura. I'd like to learn how to do C++ programming so I can make a game. I'm only a freshman in high school, so you can imagine, I don't want to wait until college. Here's my problem, the only thing I know about programming a game, is what makes a good game. So, having no experience, where do I start?

gameapex_123 commented: Wow its so much nice, we are provide free online game for pc and mobile please visit our game apex legends web site. And play game. +0

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello
You are one of the many who dream (whole life) of making a good game(me being one). So 3 suggestions
1. Don't wait, get going. Now is the right time. Even if you think your knowledge is limited, you will learn things in the process. And if you make mistakes, it will only add to your experience.
2. Read a few articles on http://www.gamedev.net/reference/, if you haven't already
3. Your first game should be simple, so that you are able to complete it and not get disinterested.

Good Luck!!
Vinayak

Hello
You are one of the many who dream (whole life) of making a good game(me being one). So 3 suggestions
1. Don't wait, get going. Now is the right time. Even if you think your knowledge is limited, you will learn things in the process. And if you make mistakes, it will only add to your experience.
2. Read a few articles on http://www.gamedev.net/reference/, if you haven't already
3. Your first game should be simple, so that you are able to complete it and not get disinterested.

Good Luck!!
Vinayak

Thanks a lot! I guess we've all got to start small!

Pick out your chosen build environment and make sure you get the tools you need. Do not, I repeat do not, install Dev-C++.

I often recommend a simple text editor and manual command-line compilation tools (gcc springs to mind), but this is something of a niche opinion :)

Do not, I repeat do not, install Dev-C++.

Even i wouldn't recommend Dev C++.
But i have different reason.
I guess OP has basic programming experience (with/without command line). So for game programming i would recommend MS Visual C++ Express, simply because it is too good. But of course one should have the experience of other IDEs as well. And one should then pick whichever suits him. I would also suggest Code Blocks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.