I'm writing an inventory program for my uncle's warehouse, which has never been counted in 20 years. (yea it's taking me a week so far and still counting parts) I want the program to be serverless and just run on his laptop (which I'm still fixing also). I thought of using sqlite and have noticed there are several different wrappers to choose from. Anyone have a particular wrapper they've used before and would recommend or know of a better alternative to meet my needs?

While I have found some inventory software that I like, my uncle isn't the most computer literate and I feel the interfaces are too complex for what he needs so I'll write my own.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for ztini

I suggest a simple Java Swing interface with a hsqldb database; both can be run locally on his machine.

I haven't heard of that, but it looks interesting. I'll be sure to check it out. I'll have to test its performance, the application will likely be running on a 1.6ghz centrino laptop with only 512mb ram.

If you are open to a pure Java DB, I'd recommend having a look at H2. It's faster than HSQLDB.

H2 can also be used in embedded mode. Read this and this for more info.

I'll second the suggestion on H2. We are using it and it's great.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.