I am trying to read gridview column through the following code

protected void gdOrderdetails_RowUpdating(object sender, GridViewUpdateEventArgs e)
    {
                 string name1;
      GridViewRow name = gdOrderdetails.SelectedRow;
        name1 = name.Cells[1].Text.ToString();

Response.Write(name1);

}

It's giving error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Pls help me out

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I had the same problem when updating a cell value on another comboboxcell change I really tried hell lot of things to solve that at the end I sorted it out by placing the cell updating code in timer_tick function and set the interval to 2 seconds i.e. after every two seconds my cell updated according to the current value in comboboxcell ... although it is a weak way but it worked for me ....

I think this would help u.

GridViewRow grdRow = gdrView.Rows[e.RowIndex];
            TextBox txtName = (TextBox)gdrView.Rows[e.RowIndex].FindControl("FirstName");
protected void gdrView_RowUpdating(object sender, GridViewUpdateEventArgs e)
        {
            DataTable dt = (DataTable)Session["objDataTable"];

GridViewRow grdRow = gdrView.Rows[e.RowIndex];

TextBox txtName = (TextBox)gdrView.Rows[e.RowIndex].FindControl("FirstName");

dt.Rows[grdRow.DataItemIndex]["FirstName"] = ((TextBox)(grdRow.Cells[1].Controls[0])).Text;
            dt.Rows[grdRow.DataItemIndex]["MiddleName"] = ((TextBox)(grdRow.Cells[2].Controls[0])).Text;
            dt.Rows[grdRow.DataItemIndex]["LastName"] = ((TextBox)(grdRow.Cells[3].Controls[0])).Text;
            dt.AcceptChanges();
            ViewState["Dt"] = dt;
            gdrView.DataSource = dt;
            gdrView.EditIndex = -1;
            gdrView.DataBind();
        }
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.