hello guys,

I don't have a programming question but a mathematical one but need to implement it in a program. I need a formula the will let me find the X,Y position of Circular motion.

For example: earth travelling around the sun, I would wanna know the X,Y position of the earth at any time.

I've looked online and didn't find anything to help me with this, i hope someone can.

thank you in advance :-)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

What do you have to start with? Are you only looking to represent the position of an object in two dimensions? Is time a factor here?

Usually to represent what you are describing one uses spherical coordinates, and there are formulas to convert from cartesian (x,y,z) to spherical coordinates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinates#Spherical_coordinates

What I'm looking for is, for Example, someone running in a perfect circular motion and you above on a hill looking at this person... the formula should tell the x,y position of this person at time t.

yes, it is only 2D and time is a factor.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.