I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 08 version on a computer where I do not have admin privileges. After building my project, I want to put the .exe into the Visual Studio 08's VC folder in order to run dumpbin from the command prompt, but it won't let me copy and paste nor will it let me drag and drop my executable.

It gives me this error message "Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is currently not in use."

So how am I supposed to use dumpbin if I can't use it on anything? Is there a copy and paste type of command in the Visual studio command prompt that I can use?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

No, the only way is to be an admin. The user programs that your run, run with the same privilages as you have. Even if Visual Studio had that function you would need admin privilages to use it...

Do do not need to or want to put your executable in VC folder.

set the path to location of dumpbin (there should be a batch file that sets this path)

and run dumpbin on your executable where it is currently locationed

under Programs->Visual Studio->Tools there should be a Visual Studio Command Prompt

Selecting this should open a command prompt with the correct path settings

Then you can dumpbin from anywhere where ever your execuatble is located

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.