hi,
i am working on windows 7 platform,please tell me how to install and configure third party packages,to use that package in some other python program

Thanks
mukthyar

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

which package ?

any package of python ....

any package of python ....

Let's start with something simple that will allow you to intall packages from the python package index. I don't use windows 7, but it should work here too

First, you must install setuptools from here http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools#using-setuptools-and-easyinstall . If you have a 32 bits windows simply select and run the .exe installer coresponding to your version of python. If you have a 64 bits windows, download and run the ez_setup.py python script instead as described in the windows section of the installation instructions.

Then we'll try the command easy_install to install a package from pypi. For this,
open a windows cmd tool and type easy_install unidecode . If it works, start a python interpreter and type the statement import unidecode . If this works (no error occurs), it means that you managed installing the 'unidecode' third party module.

Then post again in this thread for more...

So a demo to the other way to install packages,easy_install is good to have and use.
I use easy_install most of the time.

I use same third party packages unidecode in this test.
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Unidecode/0.04.1
I download Unidecode-0.04.1.tar.gz and pack it out,you pack it out to wherever you want.

Then from cmd i naviagte to the unpacked folder.
The wirte python setup.py install
Now unidecode is installed,test it out.

***Python 2.7 (r27:82525, Jul  4 2010, 09:01:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32. 
>>> import unidecode
>>> dir(unidecode)
['Char',
 'NULLMAP',
 '__builtins__',
 '__doc__',
 '__file__',
 '__loader__',
 '__name__',
 '__package__',
 '__path__',
 'unidecode']

>>> unidecode.unidecode(u"\u5317\u4EB0")
'Bei Jing '
>>>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.