hi,
I'v built a c# application in visual studio 2010 premium with SQL server 2008 database using crystal reports. my project is not a web project.
i want to install my application on another computer and i dont know what i need to do.
my project has my computer connection string as so my database and crystal reports.
how can i make my program run on another computer? do i need to instal sql server so the data will be saved on the other computer?
thank you for your help....

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi,
you can have a server like where its now, but if you want that the application will work, the 1st important thing is that the server is running.
2nd whats important is the connection string. It must include the server`s IP address, so the application on the other computer can access to the dataBase on server.
Nothing about SQL Server is not needed to be included in the Published version of the application.

Crystal reports are part of the application, and must be included in the prerequsities, because they must be installed on the computer where application will be installed.
This is about it.

i dont understand the server part/ my application is not on the web, and it will be installed on another compuetr with different server. i built my appliction for a client on my personal compuer, he wont have access to my server.
thank u very much for the quick replay...

i dont understand the server part. my application is not on the web, and it will be installed on another compuetr with different server. i built my appliction for a client on my personal compuer, he wont have access to my server.
thank u very much for the quick replay...

So you have to go there and install the SQL Server on his computer (or where ever he wants to have it). But if its a Server version, probably will not be on the same computer as the application which you are making.

BTW: how are you connected to the server now? What connection string do you use?

my connection string is the path in my computer. this is my connection string: connectionString = "Data Source=YUVALTAL;Initial Catalog=FinalProject;Integrated Security=True";
when i install sql server on the other computer, i need to attach my DB?
my project is linked to my server including my data base connection,crystal reports,data set. how will it work on another computer?

Yes, you have to attach the DB.
Which sql Server will use that person for whom you are doing this application?
Its important to know, because based on that you require an appropriate connection string. Connection strings can be found here.

As said previously, crystal reports will work fine, you only have to install them on the customer`s computer. DataBase will be accessed with the appropraite connection string.

im using sql server 2008

So go on that website, look for sql Server 2008 connection string, and use it (copy paste it into your code; change with the existing one).
Conn. string has to include IP Address, username and password.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.