I am trying to create a very large 3D array. I am currently using a psuedo-3D array with a 1D array. Here is what I have so far:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <fstream>
#include <istream>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <numeric>
using namespace std;

const int depth = 500;
const int height = 500;
const int width = 500;
int jimmy [height*width*depth];
int n,m,k;
int x = 2, y = 1, z = 2;
// m=x, n=y, k=z

int main ()
{
	for (k=0; k < depth; k++)
		for (n=0; n < height; n++)
			for (m=0; m < width; m++)
			{
				jimmy[m + n * width + k * width * height] = (m+1)*(n+1)*(k+1);
			}

system("pause");
			return 0;

};

This is working fine so far. However, I would like to set the depth, height and width to 1000 or greater. When I make an array this big I get the following error:

Error 1 error C2148: total size of array must not exceed 0x7fffffff bytes

What would be the easiest way to build an array this large (1000x1000x1000) while avoiding this problem?

What does this supposed to do??? Make a physical 3d character on the screen??? Sorry, im a noob when it comes to 3d

Can you tell us what you want to do with the array? We may be able to suggest a better solution.

I am trying to create a very large 3D array. I am currently using a psuedo-3D array with a 1D array. Here is what I have so far:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <fstream>
#include <istream>
#include <string>
#include <vector>
#include <numeric>
using namespace std;

const int depth = 500;
const int height = 500;
const int width = 500;
int jimmy [height*width*depth];
int n,m,k;
int x = 2, y = 1, z = 2;
// m=x, n=y, k=z

int main ()
{
	for (k=0; k < depth; k++)
		for (n=0; n < height; n++)
			for (m=0; m < width; m++)
			{
				jimmy[m + n * width + k * width * height] = (m+1)*(n+1)*(k+1);
			}

system("pause");
			return 0;

};

This is working fine so far. However, I would like to set the depth, height and width to 1000 or greater. When I make an array this big I get the following error:

Error 1 error C2148: total size of array must not exceed 0x7fffffff bytes

What would be the easiest way to build an array this large (1000x1000x1000) while avoiding this problem?

Ah a tremendous array! I've never tried to allocate 4 GB on the stack. Was this your intent to use that much memory? Try to allocate the memory dynamically, at a sacrifice of some speed. Out of curiousity let me know the completion time of your operations if you get it to work.

int* jimmy = new int[1000*1000*1000];

Be aware that it appears [m + n * width + k * width * height] will exceed the size of your array and crash your program. You cannot access past [width*height*depth - 1];

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.