I'm having a hard time understanding this.

I get what multithreading is- allowing a program to run more than one thread to improve performance, by splitting up some of it's resources.

So I'm at the point in my app where I need to use it. I need to upload some small text files in the background while the app is running and the user won't know their stuff is being backed up via FTP.

I don't understand where to put start- I have some code I found and a couple of good tutorials explaining the process- but...

Where do I put it? For example- I have a main form. I have a button that calls a class, and in the class is FTP code to upload some small text files. So what gets the separate thread? The class? The main form? I don't get it.

Here's some code- I don't think I have this right-

Private Sub btnUpload_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnUpload.Click

Dim load As New clsFTP
        load.UploadLogsWithFTP()
        Thread = New System.Threading.Thread(AddressOf load.UploadLogsWithFTP)
        Thread.Start()

End Sub

Then more code in clsFTP (this isn't all the code)

Then I can't use Imports System.Threading in my main form 'cause it screws with my timers...

I dunno, I'm not getting this..

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

progress-

This helped-

Dim load As New clsFTP
        Thread = New System.Threading.Thread(AddressOf load.UploadLogsWithFTP)
        Thread.Start()

Use a BackgroundWorker. Here's a start.

While rd.Read

Dim ls As New ListViewItem(rd.Item("accno").ToString())
ls.SubItems.Add(rd("classno") + "<>" + (rd("bookno")))
ls.SubItems.Add(rd("Title"))
ls.SubItems.Add(rd("author1"))
ls.SubItems.Add(rd("status"))
dim sl as string
rd1 = "select * from tb_accession where accno = '"& trim(rd.item("accno"))&"';"
Dim cmd1 As New SqlCommand(s1, DbCnn)
Dim rd1 As SqlDataReader
rd1 = cmd1.ExecuteReader
ListView1.Items.Add(ls)
End While
this is not working. it says no datareader works within one data reader.
pls help

Code- perfect example- thanks!

unaiseek, for future references, start your own thread and do not spam other's threads with "your" question. Thanks and I hope this helps to get your issue taken care of.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.