OK, I know Oracle, SQL, VBScript, Javascript, html, ASP, MS Access and it's VBA very well, I have a website that can handle mysql. NOW, I just bought myself this .NET thing. Anyone have any idea where I start from here? I don't even know what to ask yet, but I want to build a database using vb.net and using an Access backend that I can run from my website.
I'll appreciate any help, even questions will be a help at this point.
Thanks a buch.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

OK, I know Oracle, SQL, VBScript, Javascript, html, ASP, MS Access and it's VBA very well, I have a website that can handle mysql. NOW, I just bought myself this .NET thing. Anyone have any idea where I start from here? I don't even know what to ask yet, but I want to build a database using vb.net and using an Access backend that I can run from my website.
I'll appreciate any help, even questions will be a help at this point.
Thanks a buch.

what ".NET thing" did you just buy? a webhost?

for a website dont use access. you want to use SQL, probably mssql since its a .net host. If you want to build the data base on your desktop, use msde to develop it then export the db to your server.

Doesnt the new .net come with SQL Express 2005 which is the new version of MSDE but much better? But as Plazmo said... what .NET thingy? Do you want to write asp.net pages? If so i would suggest you go to the ASP.NET forum here for some ideas.
You dont need anything other than the .net sdk to write apps or web pages... vs and others are just nice tools. Being the nasty cruel person i am i make all my new staff write at least one small .net app in notepad only! Then they appreciate their IDE more and dont rely on it (the number of people i have seen that think just because there are no squiggly lines in their code it must work is unbelievable!)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.