I have begun to wonder whether frequenting this Board and trying to answer pleas for assistance is worthwhile...

I have posted several working solutions and there is no evidence that the requestor has even looked at them...

If a "possible" solution isn't what you were looking for at least clarify what you are looking for so that we can continue to post "possible" solutions and improve our responses.

As for me, no feedback means no encouragment to continue posting...

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Personally, I don't do it for the "pat on the back". I do it to pass along knowledge in the same spirit that assistance was passed to me back when I was a struggling noob. Sometimes you get a thank you. Sometimes you get "rep points". Sometimes (to quote a fellow poster) you get a faceful of wet fish.

After you have been posting here for a while, you get to recognize which posts are worth responding to and which ones are better ignored. You get familiar with the style of the different mods and frequent posters. And hopefully you will help someone to solve a problem, and they "get it" and start passing along their own help...in the same spirit that help was offered to them.

Don't despair. Even though it doesn't appear your assistance is noticed by the original requester, some months from now someone else might stumble across your solution and be ecstatic to find it. It might save a grade...or a job.

Just my $.02 worth.

commented: just can't disagree +13
commented: very true +6

Not so much a "pat on the back" as knowing if I am an effective communicator...

If there is no feedback then "we" don't know if the person gave up on us, got their answer, or needs further clarification.

What matters most is that you passed out something valuable. If the person finds it useful and replies you, good for them. if not, still good for them

commented: agree +13

I try to answer pleas for help for all the above reasons.

Sometimes the 'asker' is a college student wanting you to code a function for them and from what I see in older threads it looks like no one wants to do somebody's homework.

But, if a person honestly needs help with a real-world project and shows an interest in trying to understand the answers given .. that's reward enough. Folks who don't give feedback or just want homework done usually don't get any future questions answered ..

:)
(m)

Folks who don't give feedback or just want homework done usually don't get any future questions answered ..

Yes, you got it right.

Well, don't post expecting immediate positive feedback. Just post out of a sincere desire to help the individual.

Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up...

By the way, you do have a pretty good ratio of feedback in relationship to the number of posts.

By the way, you do have a pretty good ratio of feedback in relationship to the number of posts.

you may be right

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.