I am still a newbie at programming in VB.NET but I am wondering if it is possible to write a program that allows for remote support, like Teamviewer, LogMeIn, etc., using VB.Net and what is the easiest way to go about it? Only reason I ask is because I do not want to spend alot of money to purchase any of the aforementioned programs to offer remote support for my clients.

I am not looking for full code or anything but some pointers to head the right way.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I am still a newbie at programming in VB.NET but I am wondering if it is possible to write a program that allows for remote support, like Teamviewer, LogMeIn, etc., using VB.Net and what is the easiest way to go about it? Only reason I ask is because I do not want to spend alot of money to purchase any of the aforementioned programs to offer remote support for my clients.

I am not looking for full code or anything but some pointers to head the right way.

Can someone please direct me properly?

This is not a newbie project. I've been programming for 35+ years I wouldn't begin to touch it.

What would my best route of action be then? I would love to have some piece of software that is proprietary for my company but without the big price tag.

UltraVNC - http://www.uvnc.com/
TightVNC - http://www.tightvnc.com/

Are both free. There is a way to set up the builtin Windows Remote Desktop to work through firewalls, however, I tried and gave up in favour of TeamViewer. I am not endorsing either UltraVNC or TightVNC. I have never used either. I just suggest them as free possibilities. May I ask why you want something proprietary? Why not stick with software that experts have perfected (mostly) and are maintaining?

The fact of the matter is that I run a computer repair shop and am working on trying to make a name for myself in the town I live. Using Teamviewer, UVNC, TightNVC, etc could eventually mean that I have to pay if they find out I am using it free in a commercial setting.

Dear friend, you shouldn't have to pay IF they find out. You should pay for the services rentered to you, as you expect to get paid for the services you offer.
How would you like if I brought my PC in your shop for a repair/upgrade or whatever and picked it up without paying?

I understand what you are saying but if you look at Teamviewer's website, they charge for business usage & when you install Teamviewer on your computer, you have to agree that you are only using their software for personal use.

Next, I only do house calls and won't leave until I get payment for my services but I understand what you are saying.

If you are only doing house calls then you do not need remote software. If you do need it then you can go to the trouble of figuring out how to use Windows Remote Desktop through firewalls. Of course, since you ARE a business you can a) write off the cost of TeamViewer (or other app) as a business expense and b) pass along part or all of the cost to your customers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.