hi guys,
I'm a new member. By the way, I had an error that showed up on my jdbc program that connected to oracle. It showed 'java.sql.SqlException'. When I looked up on it in a book called Oracle8i Complete Reference, it told me that I could set my environment variables and test run my jdbc connection with a program that was there when Oracle is installed. It was called JdbcCheckup.java. Now its compiling all fine and dandy, but this run time error keeps popping up called java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError. Can someone help this fair lady in distress? ;)

E:\Oracle\Ora81\jdbc\demo\samples\oci8\basic-samples>javac JdbcCheckup.java

E:\Oracle\Ora81\jdbc\demo\samples\oci8\basic-samples>java JdbcCheckup
Please enter information to test connection to the database
user: scott
password: tiger
database (a TNSNAME entry): 10.0.2.141
Connecting to the database...Connecting...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no ocijdbc8 in java.l
ibrary.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1682)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992)
at oracle.jdbc.oci8.OCIDBAccess.logon(OCIDBAccess.java:192)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:142)

at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.ja
va:214)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:193)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at JdbcCheckup.main(JdbcCheckup.java:42)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

looks like you're missing a jarfile in your classpath. I don't have Oracle installed here so I can't tell you which one, but the name it gives as missing should be a good indication.

Poornima,

This sample program is trying to use the OCI (Oracle Call Interface) JDBC driver. This is a platform dependant driver. I would strongly recommend researching how to use the Oracle Thin JDBC driver, unless you have specific need to use the OCI driver. The Thin driver is platform indepentent and is highly optimised, it is as fast and in some cases faster than the OCI driver and will work on any platform without a care in the world.

The reason this sample appplication is not working is because it cannot locate the OCI library. I suspect you will have to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable to point to the OCI library.

Kate

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.