Hi everyone!

When i compile my small piece of code it gives me the error C2512 : No appropriate default constructor available

this is my definition of class person:

// Person.h
// A class defining a person
#pragma once
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <functional>
using std::cout;
using std::endl;
using std::string;

class Person
{
public:
	Person(string first, string second);
	// Less-than operator
	bool operator<(const Person& p)const ;

// Get the name 
	string getName()const;
private:
	string firstname;
	string secondname;
};

Here is my implementation :

#include "Person.h"

Person::Person(string first = "", string second = "")
{
	firstname = first;
	secondname = second;
}

string Person::getName()const
{
	return firstname + " " + secondname;
}

bool Person::operator<(const Person& p)const
{
	if(secondname < p.secondname ||
		((secondname == p.secondname) && (firstname < p.firstname)))
		return true;

return false;
}

When i combine the definition and implementation into a single file Person.h the error disappears. Im confused. Would some one please help?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What happens when you explicitly declare a destructor?

Out of curiosity, what are you tying to accomplish with your parameters?

What happens when you explicitly declare a destructor?

Nothing changes. Still get the error C2512 : 'Person::Person' : No appropriate default constructor available

Out of curiosity, what are you tying to accomplish with your parameters?

Yup, at the moment it does nothing. But i've planned to give meaningful default values later. But i dont think the error has to do anything with the empty string parameters. isnt it?

Oh...I don't know how I missed this last night. A default constructor is one that contains no parameters, or has defaults provided for all parameters *in the definition.* Move the default assignments from your .cpp file to your .h file. I bet that helps.

Sorry...I guess I was pretty tired last night...I read it as "destructor" instead of "constructor."

Whenever you provide default parameters for a function (whether a constructor or otherwise) they should appear in the declaration of the function, not in its definition. In other words, your constructor declaration (in header file) should be:

public:
	Person(string first = "", string second = "");

And your definition should start with:

Person::Person(string first, string second)
{

This should work. The error is explained by the fact that your class doesn't have a declared default constructor (a constructor that takes no parameter, or that has a default value for all parameters).

Aw, crud...I got definition and declaration backwards again, didn't I?

Sorry about that...but yeah, your defaults are in the wrong place.

I'm a little surprised that your compiler didn't furnish you with a default constructor; I thought that was part of the language.

>>I'm a little surprised that your compiler didn't furnish you with a default constructor; I thought that was part of the language.

The compiler will only furnish a default constructor if there are no user-defined constructors. As soon as a class has at least one constructor defined by the user, the compiler will not generate a default constructor.

Yup, at the moment it does nothing. But i've planned to give meaningful default values later. But i dont think the error has to do anything with the empty string parameters. isnt it?

No, I was just curious why you would take in parameters if you're going to redefine them anyways.

That's worked!:) Thanks for mike_2000_17 and mzimmers.

Glad to help. A good rule of thumb is to always supply your own:

- default constructor
- copy constructor
- destructor

For every class you define.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.