As the title says - it's reporting, "The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

I'm running this as an administrator and have a successful ALL_ACCESS handle to the SCM.

At some earlier points I did have some trouble with the narrow to wide conversion. I believe that's been resolved.

There was a little trouble parsing the string at first, it doesn't seem to be wrong anymore and all the values in the debugger seem to be correct.

I can't figure weather I'm completely screwing a step up, or if it needs some sort of special elevated privileges or something(doubt it).

struct service_t
{
    SC_HANDLE scService;
    wstring   name;
    bool      valid;
};

bool Services::Init()
{
    /*some unused login stuff commented out*/

scHandle = OpenSCManager(NULL, NULL, /*SC_MANAGER_CONNECT*/SC_MANAGER_ALL_ACCESS);
    if(!scHandle) {
      log.Error(L"OpenSCManger() failed. ");
      return(false); }

bSuccessful = true;
    return(true);
}

bool Services::PopulateTable()
{
    HANDLE    hFile;
    string    buffer;
    wstring   wsb; /*wide string buffer*/
    wchar_t   file[MAX_PATH];
    DWORD     file_sz, read = 0, required;
    size_t    pos = 0;
    service_t tmp;

/*opening and reading a file that list all service names into buffer*/

required = MultiByteToWideChar(CP_UTF8, 0, &buffer[0], (int)buffer.size(), NULL, 0);
    wsb.resize(required, 0);
    if(!MultiByteToWideChar(CP_UTF8, 0, &buffer[0], (int)buffer.size(), &wsb[0], required))
      log.Error(L"MB2WC() failed. ");
     buffer.clear();

while(pos != string::npos) {
       pos = wsb.find_first_of(L'\n');
       if(pos != string::npos)
	 pos++;
       tmp.name = wsb.substr(0, pos);
       wsb.erase(0, (pos));
       if(pos != string::npos) {
	 pos--;
	 tmp.name[pos] = L'\0'; }
       if(tmp.name.size() > 0)
         service_table.push_back(tmp);
    }

return(true);
}

bool Services::Pause()
{
    SERVICE_STATUS stat;

if(!bSuccessful)
      return(false);

for(size_t i = 0; i < service_table.size(); i++) {
      service_table[i].scService = OpenService(scHandle, service_table[i].name.c_str(), SERVICE_PAUSE_CONTINUE);
        if(service_table[i].scService) {
	  log.Append(3, L"Opened(", service_table[i].name.c_str(), ") \n");
          service_table[i].valid = true;

if(!ControlService(service_table[i].scService, SERVICE_CONTROL_PAUSE, &stat))
	    log.Error(3, L"ControlService(", service_table[i].name.c_str(), L") failed. \n\t");
        }
	else
	  log.Error(3, L"OpenService( ", service_table[i].name.c_str(), L") failed. \n\t");
    }

log.Display();
    return(true);
}

An example excerpt from the service name list file, they were copy-pasted from the Service Manager in Admin Tools:

iPod Service
PolicyAgent
Netman
netprofm
NlaSvc
nsi
NTI IScheduleSvc
Spooler

One shameless bump before I let this die and get on with a dozen other programs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.