Hi

My problem reqs a simulation code ( *.exe), which shd read the inputs from a file ( *.in) and after calculations , write the results to an output file ( *.out) .The names of the input and output files are hardcoded.

I shd be able to execute my sim code in batch mode and generate the output file. All this in C++.

Cld u please help me?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You will probably get more help if you are more specific in what your question is and show effort of having worked on the problem yourself.

Alright,
I do not have problems with coding or the algo.
What I have to do is integrate the .exe with another software (isight), and this .exe shd read from a .in and generate a .out. I shd also be able to run this in batch mode.

For instance,
I have 2 inputs ... length and width in .in file

The .exe calculates the area and generates the output to a .out file

I'll have to integrate all three to isight and run an optimisation process, which I can manage on my own

I need help with the way to go abt reading from a .in file in a .c sim code and generate output to a .out file.

Just the procedure will be of great help or any links if possible.

Donno if I am in the right place

Tell me what kinda code you'll require... file handling is one way I cannot go abt doing this. Figured that much.

Thanks neways

shd? abt? What do these acronyms stand for???

>>file handling is one way I cannot go abt doing this

The only other way I know of is to redirect the input and output on the command line.

c:> myprogram < infile.in > outfile.out

That will redirect the file's contents to stdin just as if you typed the information on the keyboard, and redirect stdout to a file instead of displaying it on a console screen.

But I don't know why you can't just use FILE and associated C file handline functions to read the input file and write the output file.

shd? abt? What do these acronyms stand for???

"shd" is should

And
"abt" is about

Thanks a bunch.

What I mean by running in batch mode...
At the prompt, if my file name is test.exe , on typing the file name, the output file should be generated.
Now, test.exe is created after I run my test.c file.

Is file handline fns the only way to do this?

Here is a code:

#include<iostream.h>
#include<fstream.h>
#include<stdlib.h>
void main()
{
    char ch1[50]="The length is : ";char ch2[50]="The width is : ";
    float l=8.0; float w=6.0;float a,p;
    char ch3[50]="The area is : ";char ch4[50]="The perimeter is : ";
    float temp1,temp2;

ofstream outfile("newone.in");

outfile<<ch1<<l<<endl<<ch2<<w;
    outfile.close();
    ifstream infile("newone.in");
    ofstream outf("newone.out");
    infile.getline(ch1,50);
    infile>>l;temp1=l;
    infile.getline(ch2,50);
    infile>>w;temp2=w;

a=l*w;
    p=2*(l+w);
    outf<<ch3<<a<<endl;
    outf<<ch4<<p<<endl;
    infile.close();outf.close();

}

What will a .exe of this do every time I run it?

In another software, I am giving it permission to replace the values of l and w in my input file with its own randomly generated values, calculate new area and perimeter, and write it in the output file... this runs in a loop until I optimise my area. Now, after it replaces the values in the input file, it uses the .exe to do the new calculations and carry on for every run.

Doubts:
When, it runs the .exe, does it re-initialise the values of l and w?
What does running the .exe do?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.