import javax.swing.JPanel;
import javax.swing.ImageIcon;
import java.awt.Image;
import java.awt.Graphics;
import java.awt.Graphics2D;

class View extends JPanel {
    Image icon1,icon2;
    public View(){
        ImageIcon i1=new ImageIcon(this.getClass().getResource("tile1.png"));//image I drew
        ImageIcon i2=new ImageIcon(this.getClass().getResource("tile2.png"));//image I downloaded
        icon1=i1.getImage();
        icon2=i2.getImage();
    }
    public void paint(Graphics g){
        super.paint(g);
        Graphics2D g2=(Graphics2D)g;

g2.drawImage(icon1,10,10,null);//this image is not displayed
        g2.drawImage(icon2,200,200,null);//this image is displayed
        }
}

In the above code, I'm simply trying to load some images and display it in the window.

Now, I drew an image using MSPaint and saved it in bmp/png (icon1). And I downloaded another image off the internet in gif/png (icon2). The images are present in the same directory as the code.

BUT when I run the program to display the images, I see that only icon2 is being displayed. icon1 is not displayed.

Why is this so?

The drawImage() method returns a true value on success. However, for the icon1 it returns false and for icon2 it returns true.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try some testing. Load the same image in the new ImageIcon() calls and see if there is a problem with the java code vs the images.

I notice that this problem happens when I am using bmp (or I rename a bmp file to some other format). So if I draw the image and save it as png or something else, then this problem does not arise.

I guess then Image does not support bmp format.

rename a bmp file to some other

Renaming a file does not change it contents.

I didnt know that. I thought windows would automatically convert the file

Weird idea. What if you renamed a .txt file to .exe?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.