i have created a chat program and i want to add smiley to it......i know how to add smiley in a program,but my logic works for single smiley in a message.......want logic for multiple smiley in prgm,,,,

int zi=msg.indexOf(':');

if(zi!=-1)
    {  

try{
      st1=msg.substring(msg.indexOf(':'),msg.indexOf(':')+2);
     String msg_start=msg.substring(1,msg.indexOf(':'));

int msg_end_index=msg.indexOf(':')+3;

if(msg_end_index>msg.length())
           msg_end="";

else
      msg_end=msg.substring(msg_end_index);

try {
      ch.document.insertString(ch.document.getLength(), "\n"+msg_start, ch.attributes);
    } catch (BadLocationException badLocationException) {System.err.println("Oops"); }

Style labelStyle=ch.context.getStyle(StyleContext.DEFAULT_STYLE);

if(st1.equals(":)"))
   {st1="D:/sim2";

Icon icon=new ImageIcon(st1+".png");
   JLabel label=new JLabel(icon);
   StyleConstants.setComponent(labelStyle,label);

//insert smiley
   try
   {
       ch.document.insertString(ch.document.getLength(), "Ignored", labelStyle);
   }catch(Exception e ){}
   }

if(msg_end!=null)
   {  //end
   try {
      ch.document.insertString(ch.document.getLength(), msg_end, ch.attributes);
    } catch (BadLocationException badLocationException) {System.err.println("Oops"); }

}

}catch(Exception e){e.printStackTrace();}

}

else 
   {    //insert message
       try {
      ch.document.insertString(ch.document.getLength(), "\n"+msg.substring(1), ch.attributes);
   }

first of all, don't check for ':' what if someone has the text
"this is my remark: checking for that char on it's own, will be treated twice in your if, while it should only be treated once :)"

just jump for each and every occurence of your smiley (:), for example) not just for the first one. there are several ways to do this, using substrings is (just) one of them

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.