so I have written a acript that logs into google calendar and pulls the next weeks events and stores them in variables. I am stuck at how to get these variables and put them into a html page does anyone have any ideas? I am running the script once a week and storing the values of the variable and would like to just grab those values and not have to create the html page dynamically every time. Any help is greatly appriciated also not sure if this should go here or under web design(sorry if i posted in wrong group).

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Sounds like a job for embedded AJAX, which would read the file with your variables in it, then populate DIV containers on a relatively static HTML page. You wouldn't have to create the entire page each time, and could even have a 'loading' message or something else there until the content is finished loading from your variables. I used something similar for my Pinball Locator some time ago.
I'd say this question is more programming-related than web design, although good skills in the latter would definitely be required to pull this one off.

Ok so Ajax is pretty much the only way to do this then? I read somewhere if u use Ajax to populate a page it disables bookmarks and the back button is this also trueOk so Ajax is pretty much the only way to do this then? I read somewhere if u use Ajax to populate a page it disables bookmarks and the back button is this also true

If you don't want to generate the page dynamically, you can generate it once a week and store an html file when you run your script. You could use a template engine like Mako for variable substitution in the html file. It is very easy to do.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.