I've built an application that displays the contents of an access database in a datagrid and also a form which allows a user to add a new record to the database.
When I tried to run the exe in the bin folder on another computer it displays an error when I try to add a new record to the database.
It allows me to view the records in the datagrid no problem but will not run my query on a different computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated

This is the error that appears

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. if you click Quit the application will close immediately

Disk error

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Disk or network error.
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
   at DTOptions.Options.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\DTOptions\DTOptions\Options.vb:line 18
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5466 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DTOptions
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///E:/DTOptions/DTOptions/bin/Debug/DTOptions.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Transactions
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

1. How is the database file shared on the network?
  2. Do you have read/write access to the shared folder?
  3. How are you connecting to the database?
  1. It is not shared on a network. I was trying to take it from my home pc and run it on another pc in a different location. I copied the entire project folder to another computer and ran the exe in the bin/debug folder.

2. I have read/write access to all folders

3. I am connecting using an OleDbConnection

What is your connections string? Does it have the fully qualified path to the access database?

which database you are using ?

I believe so. I am not at home at present so cannot look. I did not code in the connection I used the OleDbConnection from the toolbox and connected it to my database from there. I am still novice with VB.net so I apologise if I am not answering your questions very well

I've got a feeling that when i set the connection it asked me if i would like to save the connection string to the application configuration file. I said no to this. Could this be my issue?

Sorry I meant that i clicked no on the message to stop VB copying the database each time it runs

you open module
add this coding into it

Module Module1
    Public connectionString As String = "Data Source=HP-PC;Initial Catalog=VBP;user ID =sa; password= 1234"
    Public loggedUserId As String
    Public loglevel As String
    Public loggedpassword As String

End Module

there in datasoure you put the IP address of the computer you connected.
Initial Catalog:-databasename

there in datasoure you put the IP address of the computer you connected.

This is not necessary because the OP stated that the database is on the same computer as the app. You can find OleDb connections strings for Access here

Hi sorry i haven't posted back. I changed the drive letter on the connection string and it worked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.