Hello

I have an assignment where I have a XML file with data and I need to able to read it inside something like a listbox where I'm able to select the name of a company and all the other data related to that company name is shown.

Example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<clients>

-<client id="1">

<name>Acrobedding (Cloud)</name>

<sender>cloud@acrobedding.com</sender>

<errorWords>failed|error</errorWords>

<falseWords>Warnings: []|Errors: []|Failed to process path:|FilesWithError: 0|VerboseErrors:</falseWords>

<link>e-mail adress</link>

<days>MA|DI|WO|DO|VR</days>

</client>

So for example I have to able to select Acrobedding from a list and all the other data shows in a label or textbox (Sender, Errorwords, ...)

I have been able to read all the data in VB in a cmd but it's nothing like the end result it should be.

Here's what I have:

Imports System.Xml

Module Module1

Sub Main()
        Dim reader As XmlTextReader = New XmlTextReader("input.xml")

Do While (reader.Read())
            Select Case reader.NodeType
                Case XmlNodeType.Element 'Display beginning of element.
                    Console.Write("<" + reader.Name)
                    If reader.HasAttributes Then 'If attributes exist
                        While reader.MoveToNextAttribute()
                            'Display attribute name and value.
                            Console.Write(" {0}='{1}'", reader.Name, reader.Value)
                        End While
                    End If
                    Console.WriteLine(">")
                Case XmlNodeType.Text 'Display the text in each element.
                    Console.WriteLine(reader.Value)
                Case XmlNodeType.EndElement 'Display end of element.
                    Console.Write("</" + reader.Name)
                    Console.WriteLine(">")
            End Select
        Loop
        Console.ReadLine()

End Sub

If anyone knows a solution for my problem it would be much appreciated and if you need to know more then feel free to ask as I will check this post frequently while I search for more solutions.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

try some thing like this.

1) collect all company names from xmlfile and load in to combobox or some control
2) load company details in listview based on seletion.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<companies>
  <company>
    <name>ABC</name>
    <Address>india road</Address>
    <point></point>
  </company>
</companies>

Private Sub Form2_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

xdoc.Load("..\XMLFile1.xml")
        Dim xlist = (From xlit In xdoc.SelectNodes("companies/company") Select DirectCast(xlit, XmlNode).SelectSingleNode("name").InnerText).ToList()
        ComboBox1.DataSource = xlist
    End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

Dim CompanyDetails = (From xlit In xdoc.SelectNodes("companies/company") Where DirectCast(xlit, XmlNode).SelectSingleNode("name").InnerText.Equals(ComboBox1.SelectedValue) Select xlit).FirstOrDefault()

ListView1.Items.Add(DirectCast(CompanyDetails, XmlNode).SelectSingleNode("name").InnerText)
        ListView1.Items(0).SubItems.Add(DirectCast(CompanyDetails, XmlNode).SelectSingleNode("Address").InnerText)

End Sub
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.