I'm looking for some help with an issue I am having. I have multiple text files in a folder. The folder can have an "unlimited" amount of text files in it, although typically 2-150 files.

http://gyazo.com/5f314d1ca374abf9f813914609dd931d (images for this + below)

Each file then contains an "unlimited" (although typically 0-20 lines) amount of data inside it. Line 1 being the "test number" and line 2 being the "test result" - as seen in the image above

My Data Grid View has 3 columns in it [Username, Test Number and Test Result] named (Column_Username, Column_TestNumber, Column_TestResult) - as seen in the image above

When running the current code that I have, there is the correct amount of grids in the data grid view, although all of the cells are empty. http://gyazo.com/e08f9f2f4ab3971695feffe60503e8a9 (image of this)

One thing I don't want to do is change any of my text file/ folder structures, even though I'm aware that it is currently inefficient storage. Although I'm more than happy to use something instead of the lists function if you think there is a better way.

How can I fix this? I'm using VB.Net (visual studios 2013)

If you need any more information, please just ask.

Many thanks.

Imports System.IO
Imports System.ComponentModel

Public Class TeacherMultiResults

Dim LineCount As Integer = 0
Dim Username As String = ""
Dim TestNumber As Integer = 0
Dim TestResult As Integer = 0
Dim ListOfResults = New List(Of TeacherMultiResults)

Private Sub TeacherMultiResults_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim directory As New IO.DirectoryInfo(LoadForm.CurrentDirectory & "\UserResults\") 'selects directory
    Dim FileNames As IO.FileInfo() = directory.GetFiles()
    Dim Files As IO.FileInfo

For Each Files In FileNames 'list the names of all files in the specified directory
        Username = Files.ToString
        Username = (Username.Substring(0, Username.Length - 4)) 'removes the .txt from the name

Try
            LineCount = File.ReadAllLines(LoadForm.CurrentDirectory & "\UserResults\" & Username & ".txt").Length 'amount of lines in file
            If LineCount > 1 Then
                Dim Information As New System.IO.StreamReader(LoadForm.CurrentDirectory & "\UserResults\" & Username & ".txt") 'opens file
                LineCount = LineCount / 2 'halfs line count
                For i = 0 To LineCount - 1
                    TestNumber = Information.ReadLine() 'reads line to variable
                    TestResult = Information.ReadLine() 'reads line to variable
                    i = i + 1 'adds one to i

Dim AddResult = New TeacherMultiResults With {.Username = "hi", .TestNumber = "1", .TestResult = "2"} 'set up a record
                    ListOfResults.add(AddResult) 'add record to list
                Next
                Information.Close() 'Close read
                Dim bindList = New BindingList(Of TeacherMultiResults)(ListOfResults) 'setup list to bind
                Dim bindsrc = New BindingSource 'setup binding source
                bindsrc.DataSource = bindList 'bind list to source
                DGV_MultiResults.DataSource = bindsrc 'add list to DGV
            End If

Catch ex As Exception 'if file won't read
            MsgBox(ex.ToString) 'show error
            Exit Try
        End Try 'end of try
    Next 'end of files
End Sub
End Class

Anyone able to help?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.