I need to submit a form on which there is a group of inputs(that can be dynamically generated) that needs to be an array of objects(list of dictionaries).

I Dynamically generate the following item when a button is clicked on the form:

var count = 0
$("#add-order-item").on("click", function(){
    count += 1
    console.log(count);
    $("#order_items").prepend('\
        <fieldset id="items" name="items">\
            <legend>\
                Item #'+count+'\
            </legend>\
        <div class="form-group">\
              <label class="control-label col-sm-4" for="item_name">Item Name</label>\
              <div class="col-sm-5">\
                <input class="form-control" placeholder="Item Name" name="items['+count+'][item_name]" id="item_name" required="">\
              </div>\
            </div>\
              <label class="control-label col-sm-4" for="item_description">Item Description</label>\
              <div class="col-sm-5">\
                <input class="form-control" placeholder="Item Description" name="items['+count+'][item_description]" id="item_description">\
              </div>\
            </div>\
              <label class="control-label col-sm-4" for="quantity">Quantity</label>\
              <div class="col-sm-5">\
                <input class="form-control" id="order-quantity-field" name="items['+count+'][quantity]" placeholder="Quantity" required=""\ pattern="^[0-9]+$" data-bv-regexp-message="Value is not a number" type="text">\
              </div>\
            </div>\
              <label class="control-label col-sm-4" for="pn_id">Provider Network</label>\
              <div class="col-sm-5">\
                <input class="form-control" placeholder="PN00" id="order-pn_id-field" name="items['+count+'][pn_id]" \
                placeholder="Provider Network" required="" type="text"\
                data-bv-remote-url='+'{{"stock.orders.new.validate"|route_path()}}'+'\
                    data-bv-remote="true">\
              </div>\
        </div>\
        </fieldset>\
    ')
});

I have viewed this StackOverflow answer, which has helped me a lot, but still the question remains how to create such an array of objects, the suggested answer should work, how ever when I check the data that was sent, it is a list of tuples:

NestedMultiDict([('items[1][item_name]', u'sims'), ('items[1][item_description]', u''), ('items[1][quantity]', u'50'), ('items[1][pn_id]', u'PN02'), ('delivery_address', u'164 Springfield Road\r\nWindermere\r\nDurban\r\n4001'), ('delivery_note', u'')])

1. How could I get it on the server-side in the desired list of dictionaries or How could I send the name of the list with the form submission?
  2. Could it be something to do with the way I am posting the data in my jquery, i.e. The way I am serializing it.

Form submission using $.post():

$.post(
    post_url,
    $('form[name="add-order-form"]').serializeArray()
).success(function(data) {
    document.location.href=data;
});

Any help will be much appreciated.
If you need more details please ask.

It could help if, rather than posting the JavaScript/JQuery code that generates the form being sent, we could see the Python code that is reading it in from the server. There are several ways that can be done, depending on the libraries and/or frameworks you are using.

Let's step back a bit and look at your goals rather than what you currently have it doing. What is this actually supposed to accomplish? What information are you actually trying to extract from the POSTed form? Why does it have to be in the form of a list of dicts?

Oh, BTW, what version of Python are you working in? That could be relevant.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.