I was hoping that you could help me with some problems colleagues and I are having with a psychometric tool that we are developing for a short-term project. We were hoping to utilize Visual Basic C++ to get the job done. What we are essentially trying to do, but can't seem to get the code to work, is input a series of 9 numbers [which are coded for behavorial meaning] into a C++ program. The program would then store the numbers that we enter each day and then after a certain period of time, would use this pool of numbers to generate a set of 9 numbers for us. The other catch is, that we need the program to select a set of 9 numbers based upon the frequency of those numbers and the order in which they occurred. In other words, if "8" was most commonly entered into the "3rd" place, we want "8" to have a higher chance of being selected for the "3rd" place. Do you have any suggestions as to how to do this or could you help point us in the right direction as far as coding goes. I, myself, have some training in C++ but just can't get the program to work correctly. This program isn't part of an already existing program; we are trying to develop it from scratch.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

The program would then store the numbers that we enter each day

Pipe the output to a file.

and then after a certain period of time, would use this pool of numbers to generate a set of 9 numbers for us.

Measure the time the program was started to when the time period expires using the <time> library possibly? Again this is possible if you store the times in a file.

The other catch is, that we need the program to select a set of 9 numbers based upon the frequency of those numbers and the order in which they occurred. In other words, if "8" was most commonly entered into the "3rd" place, we want "8" to have a higher chance of being selected for the "3rd" place.

This is a programming problem. You could create an array of integers to count the frequency of each number.

These same ideas can be applied to most other programming languages, not just c++ but probably visual basic as well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.