Hi

I am creating a button & textbox manually and have those codes in the form load event. Also I disabled the button & I have the number 1 in my text box.

May I please have the code to enable the button when any number greater than one is entered in the textbox?

Thank you in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi

I am creating a button & textbox manually and have those codes in the form load event. Also I disabled the button & I have the number 1 in my text box.

May I please have the code to enable the button when any number greater than one is entered in the textbox?

Thank you in advance...

Give this a shot :cheesy:

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Button1.Enabled = False
End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
If Val(TextBox1.Text) > 1 Then
Button1.Enabled = True
ElseIf Val(TextBox1.Text) <= 1 Then
Button1.Enabled = False
End If
End Sub
End Class

Give this a shot :cheesy:

Public Class Form1

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
Button1.Enabled = False
End Sub

Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles TextBox1.TextChanged
Button1.Enabled = True
Button1.Enabled = False
End If
End Sub
End Class

Hi

Thanks for your time

Yes! that is exactly my code too...

The code in the form load event was okay...since I am creating the button in there..

But for the text change event, it is giving me error at the text with RED below

Error is : Handles clause requires a Withevents variable defined in the containing type or one of its base type

I am very new to VB...and don't have any idea about the error...could anyone please help me!

Private Sub TextBox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, 
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles [COLOR=Red]TextBox1[/COLOR].TextChanged

Button1.Enabled = True
Button1.Enabled = False
End If

End Sub

Very odd, it works on my end.. You are using Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, correct?

In your post you said:

Do you mean you put them on the form programically or using the IDE. If you are codeing them you didnot show them in your form load evend

Button1.Enabled = False
End Sub

If this is the case then the program does not know what TextBox1 is because it hasn't been declared yet and gets the error message.

I'm using visual studio .NET 2005

I think your design already have button1 & textbox1...

My design only has the Form1

My dilemma is that I am creating those in the Form_Load event

Public Class Form1

Dim Button1 As New Button()
Button1.Name = "Button1"
Button1.Text = "btn"
Button1.Size = New Size(75, 23)
Button1.Enabled = False

Dim Textbox1 As New TextBox
Textbox1.Name = "Textbox1"
Textbox1.Text = "1"
Textbox1.Size = New Size(30, 20)

End Sub

Private Sub Textbox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Textbox1.TextChanged

If Val(Textbox1.Text) > 1 Then
Button1.Enabled = True

Button1.Enabled = False
End If

End Sub

End Class

any suggestions...

Move:
Dim Button1 As New Button
To outside the load form. When you dim it in a sub it is destroyed when you exit the sub or you need to add the control to the controls collection.

I'm using visual studio .NET 2005

I think your design already have button1 & textbox1...

My design only has the Form1

My dilemma is that I am creating those in the Form_Load event

Public Class Form1

Button1.Name = "Button1"
Button1.Text = "btn"
Button1.Enabled = False

Textbox1.Text = "1"

End Sub

Private Sub Textbox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Textbox1.TextChanged

Button1.Enabled = True

Button1.Enabled = False
End If

End Sub

End Class

any suggestions...

Move:
Dim Button1 As New Button
To outside the load form. When you dim it in a sub it is destroyed when you exit the sub or you need to add the control to the controls collection.

No..I am still getting the error "Handles clause requires a WithEvents variable defined in the containing type or one of its base types."
@
the text with red below

Public Class Form1

Dim Textbox1 As New TextBox()

Button1.Name = "Button1"
Button1.Text = "btn"
Controls.Add(Button1)
Button1.Enabled = False

Textbox1.Text = "1"
Textbox1.Location = New Point(70, 80)
Textbox1.BorderStyle = BorderStyle.Fixed3D
Controls.Add(Textbox1)

End Sub

Private Sub Textbox1_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Textbox1.textchanged

Button1.Enabled = True

Button1.Enabled = False

End If

End Sub

End Class

Thanks for your time

Sorry about that. I meant to add that to my last post. You need to define your objects using WithEvents.

Dim WithEvents Button1 As New Button()
    Dim WithEvents Textbox1 As New TextBox()

YES it works...

but when you create buttons and textboxes dynamically, it's not working..

Anyways thanks a lot for the help

I don't know what you mean. What was done above is dynamic and works for me. I tried it before posting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.