From what I can gather, it appears that you cannot access Excel from VB.NET without having Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office (and a healthy extra sum of money)! Is this really true? There's got to be a way, seeing as you can do it in VB6 without anything extra.
Thanks, OH

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

From what I can gather, it appears that you cannot access Excel from VB.NET without having Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office (and a healthy extra sum of money)! Is this really true? There's got to be a way, seeing as you can do it in VB6 without anything extra.
Thanks, OH

OH, you can still use the old Office COM objects via Interop, but you will be running unmanaged code and will have to deal with memory leaks and other issues with some of the older Office dll's. The new Office objects are supposed to address these issues with a set of true native .net objects, but I have not had a chance to play with these yet (still on vs2003). I've coded against the old objects and it's not too horrendous, but it definitely takes some care to prevent it from eating your machine alive at run time.

Search for COM Interop in the Microsoft docs in VS to get started (you'll end up on Google looking for more clarification, but start with MS for the groundwork).

Hope that helps!

Ned

Thanks for your help. I have finally made some progress.
OH

Thanks for the lead. Things are actually beginning to move forward now. OH :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.