hi all,

My website host does not support changing perl file permissions online through an ftp program or any other method, and i need to change my .pl file to have different permissions in order for them to work. how do i change my file's permissions to chmod 755 or 666 LOCALLY? so without having to upload them first? I am useless at cgi (i got the script free from a website). Thanks!

Max

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

use a better webhost :P

i find that on IIS (microsoft servers) i don't need to change permissions to use Perl files, and if i use FTP from the DOS prompt, it sets permissions to 755 automatically.

lol ok :P

depends what operating system you have. on linux type

chmod +x myscript.pl

in windows...i dont think it differentiates files that are executable and text files except by the extension, which is .exe

yup im on windows. It dosnt matter so much anymore, i might change website provider because they dont support some php scripts or chmod permissions externally and they are not veyr satisfactory to be honest. Im with fasthosts. What host would you recommend? bearing in mind, i need somthing for around £5 per month, preferably high bandwidth because i show graphic art on my website, and large pictures are downloaded to be viewed frequently. thanks,

Max

no host supports chmoding files externally. You have to connect to the server somehow: telnet/shell, FTP, another script, to change permission of files on a server.

i know, i tried to use both ftpvoyager and smartftp but both saids it couldnt do it, so i contacted support and they said they didnt support it, which suggests other hosts do.

i know, i tried to use both ftpvoyager and smartftp but both saids it couldnt do it, so i contacted support and they said they didnt support it, which suggests other hosts do.

Ahh... I misunderstood you. You might have been able to change permissions using a script, but the host probably doesn't want you messing around with file permissions and might not appreciate if you did. You can often do things using a script that the host doesn't want you to be able to do, but if you get caught they might delete your account and not return any money you paid them.

fasthosts are very bad,

at my job, we have quite alot of client sites hosted on fasthosts with windows. I find their installed PHP modules are lacking, advertised support for "precompiled CGI" isn't true (C CGI doesn't work).

worst of all, Perl scripts are executed on an unrelated server. That turns "local" files into "remote" files; in other words, you can't open a text file directly adjacent to a Perl script in your folder hierachy. Nor can you use your own modules.

i'd definately consider either upgrading to a Unix hosting package w/ fasthosts (+£10!!) or moving elsewhere. i could give you a tip for a good UK hosting company, but it could be considered advertising :P

but, do a whois search on my domain (in signature) and give my registrar's plans a look. =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.