hello.

thanks to all of you for taking time to answer questions.

i just started learning c++ and i'm confused as to how graphics are added to a program.

does c++ have graphical capabilities on it's own or does it need another program like Direct-x?

the graphics i make are tiles,32x32 BMP or Jpeg.

can i get an example of how to place one in a program, or , further information.

thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hello.

thanks to all of you for taking time to answer questions.

i just started learning c++ and i'm confused as to how graphics are added to a program.

does c++ have graphical capabilities on it's own or does it need another program like Direct-x?

the graphics i make are tiles,32x32 BMP or Jpeg.

can i get an example of how to place one in a program, or , further information.

thanks.

Sorry to dash any high hopes you have but graphics is something you will only be able to do after you have much more knowledge in C++.

Actually C++ has it's own way of showing graphics through the operating system but at a very low level by drawing pixel by pixel.Actually everyting on screen drawn that way.

Now it would be boring to do that,so people made funtions to draw lines,then to draw boxes ,then to display text,and progress on to draw windows and all the stuff you see.

Now DirectX is not a program.It is just a library which helps you to draw and C++ version of it is available.At you current level you wont even be able to set it up on you compiler,sorry you reaching for the moon.

Good news you can learn more C++ and then go on to graphic within no time if you advance well.I just started 4-5 five months ago in game programming but I have 3 games aready done.Just because I know C++ well.

You will have to learn about using the C++ data types,structures,classes,file i/o and should be able to use them well.

By then you will be able to go into graphics programming.Even if you manage to copy someone elses code and get it to do something you want you will still be wasting your time as there are a lot more efficent way using the power C++ provides to do what you did.

So learn C++ first well.

It will depend on you how fast you can pick up stuff.Dont even think you can make a mini-version of Quake as even the simplest games require a lot of work.Take it from a guy who has real experiance there.

Ah,some links to C++ tuts
-------------------------
http://www.google.com/ you can search there and should
http://www.cplusplus.com/
http://www.cprogramming.com/

Hey check out the tut fourm here at daniweb too.And post any question you have :D.Will be glad to help.

Oh,I din't give more links since I want you to search.

(Give a man bread today, he will be hungry tommorow.Teach him to fish and he will survive for a lifetime) or so the saying goes.

That way you will have your own questions and you will find you own answers and you will really progress.Best of luck

actually i've been trying to get some kind of answer,on different forums, for about 4 months , and your the only one who replied.
thx

Sure thing wolf, go ahead and learn C++ and maybe in a few months you can get into graphics programming.It's not tough (hey, if you get a pencil and know how to draw lines you can draw houses) but unless you know a good bit of the basics you will not understand many things.Unless you understand what you are doing you will not progress.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.