Hello again,

I just started learning Win32 API, because of wow project. Now, I d like to know, if I will be able to make a programs using Win32 API in Vista too.

What about 64bit arhitecture? Will be there on Vista Win64 API? If so will the code be same?

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

>Now, I d like to know, if I will be able to make a programs using Win32 API in Vista too.
My memory's quite foggy, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. I think Microsoft had developed a whole new API/system of displaying windows, which was supposed to be really great for the developers. Then Microsoft ditched it.

Win32 API certainly isn't dead, and most programs will display properly (at least the GUI that's written with the WinAPI). I don't know much else, though.

So We will be able to make a Win32 API in Vista too?

Which is a new vista s API?

What about Direct X 10? Will be DirectX 10 compatible with Win32 API ?

>So We will be able to make a Win32 API in Vista too?
As far as I know, yes.

What about DirectX 10? Will be based on Win32 API?

Or should I throw away all win32 tutorials and start with Vista api?

take a look at the "windows prentation foundation" or something along the lines of that

What about 64bit arhitecture? Will be there on Vista Win64 API?
Jan

I don't know if there will be a 64-bit version of Vista or not, but 64-bit XP is indication there will NOT be one because device drivers (such as for video) are few and far between.

If so will the code be same?

Depends on how the code is written. Code that assumes the size of data type (such as a HANDLE is the size of a long) will have porting problems. The quickest way to find out if you have C++ 2005 Pro is to turn on the option that checks for 64-bit problems and compile the code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.