There once was a time when VB did not put on airs, thinking itself to be a little language it was great. And then they tried to make it into more than it should be and everything got fouled up.

1. How do i make an untyped array on the fly?
VB6: Array(x,y,z,q) and you had an array parameter.
2. Why is Dim X()() different from Dim X(,). I want to have a variable defined as such:
Dim X()() = {{"1", "2"}, {"3", "4"}}

BUt that doesn't work. I have to do DIm X(,) and then it does...but guess what...vb thinking itself to be something of power, decides that I subsequently can't do this:
CallProc(X(0)) <-- THis says there aren't enough indicies. BS. I want the first array of the multi-dimensional array. If I dim X()() i can do this, but then i can't initialize the array in one statement like the above line.

What happened to VB when it used be simplistic and straightforward. It was limited, to be sure...BUT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO Be.

Why Does Array.Resize() never work? I always have to use redim. Which is fine, but it seems pointless to have an object method that exists but doesn't work.

How do you "add" a line to a multiline textbox? THere is no TextBox1.Add("") i have to do TextBox1.Text = TextBox1.Text & vbCrLf & NewString That is annoying.

How can i initialize a Structure (not a class). I have multi nested structures because I'm sorry classes are just way too much overkill for the level of simplistic application I want to write, but I can't do it.
No matter what method i use I have to do some excruciatingly long drawn out line by line initialization of ever field.

Where can I find a simple, easy, and CLEAR description of these basic fundamentals to the most offensive language ever created (because naturally as they updated VB to .Net, they also updated msdn to suck too)

Frustrated
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner

ps - I apologize for my attitude, but C - C++ wasn't this bad. Pascal to Delphi wasn't this bad. But VB to VB.NEt has complete destroyed all that was good with the language.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

1. How do i make an untyped array on the fly?

I'd use an ArrayList...

2. Why is Dim X()() different from Dim X(,).

One is a a matrix and the other is a ragged array. In a matrix the size of the columns is the same for every row but in a ragged array all of the rows can have a different size. .NET supports both types so for VB to support .NET, it has to allow them both too.

What happened to VB when it used be simplistic and straightforward.

VB programmers wanted to do more without moving to C++ I guess. :) That's why classes were added to VB before .NET and why VB is a big language in .NET. It's still a simple and straightforward language...

Why Does Array.Resize() never work?

Array.Resize only works on arrays of one dimension. Are you trying to use it with a matrix?

How do you "add" a line to a multiline textbox?

Use the AppendText method of the textbox and prefix the string with Environment.NewLine.

How can i initialize a Structure (not a class).

Structures can have a constructor too...

I'm sorry you're having trouble with VB.NET, but it's really a different language from VB6 that has a lot of things in common with VB6. You just need to get used to .NET and the new conventions in VB.NET and then I think you'll learn to like it. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.