Hi everyone I am working on this project that involves programming the EEPROM chip using assembly language but I do not know how to go about doing this. I am suppose to be able to read from, write to, edit, and erase the eeprom. What can I do? Where do I begin? thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What would be more interesting would be what else is attached to the board which holds the EEPROM, and what kind of tools you've got to hand (for programming in assembler for example).

EEPROM is just another kind of memory, like RAM, except it doesn't forget. So programming it is just a matter of using the right tool, which will become (hopefully) much more apparent when you supply some more details.

I have to use HCS12 to design my own programmer that allows me to load, edit and view the data that you want to program into the EEPROM. Once I have programmed the EPROM, my programmer should allow me to verify that the correct data was actually programmed to the chip. We are using the MCU project board and Freescale CodeWarrior for the code. Is that what you meant.

It appears there are two ways you can do this. (1) I assume CodeWarrior is on a different computer, so after compiling/assembling your code create a flat binary file and this can be read through the serial port using TwinPeeks or (2) Emit machine language listing and enter it directly using TwinPeeks again.

TwinPeeks appears to be somewhat similar to debug in DOS.

So your EEPROM is not part of the MCU project board, but is a separate component you plug into it just for the purposes of programming it?

So basically, on the MCU, you need functions to
- detect the type of EEPROM plugged in
- download an image (from where?) to local memory
- erase an EEPROM sector (or whole device?)
- program it
- verify it

hai
thinks i know about is that I have to use hcs12 to design my own programmer that allows me to load, edit and view the data that you want to program into the EEPROM. Once I have programmed the EPROM, my programmer should allow me to verify that the correct data was actually programmed to the chip.
there are two ways you can do this. (1) I assume CodeWarrior is on a different computer, so after compiling/assembling your code create a flat binary file and this can be read through the serial port using TwinPeeks or (2) Emit machine language listing and enter it directly using TwinPeeks again. if u got much more useful sujessions pls send to me also
tanku

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.