what is lvalue????

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

value on the left hand side of an expression containing assignment operator

lvalue (pronounced "ell-value"): An expression that is an lvalue may appear as either the left-hand or right-hand side of an assignment.

rvalue (pronounced "are-value"): An expression that is an rvalue may appear on the right- but not left-hand side of an assignment.

for example :

let say a and b are integer variables
you can type something like this :
a = a + b;
but cant type
a + b = a; because arithmetic expression can not be an lvalue.
or you cant say "abc" = "abcd" because literal constant can not be an lvalue.

> What is a search engine?
I suppose I can add "what is a gravedigger?" as well, to the bump of the long-dead thread.

> What is a search engine?
I suppose I can add "what is a gravedigger?" as well, to the bump of the long-dead thread.

if a question is not resolved that means it is not long-dead. if you search google with lvalue you come accross to this thread, i added this because i didnt want people to think that daniweb is weak solving problems. anyway what i do is something that has to be appreciated, if google returns results about these entries that means that these threads does not dead until they are resolved.

Thank you for your assistance. I just found this thread on Google as the second result, and it was immensely helpful. Thank you to those that took time to answer the question, and to those that replied with sarcasm and attitude: why waste your time and ours with such a useless response?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.