Hello guys. I am currently developing a Case Management System with a versioning function. The versioning function will allow top management to see the different versions of a document and the different changes that were made by either the lawyer or top management. My problem is, how would I start or begin with creating such a function? Are there simpler ways of achieving this? (I'm just starting with php with knowledge in Java).

This is not trivial and telling you how to start doing this is not in the scope of these forums. There are open source web-based tools out there that will do this for you, the study of which can help you understand what needs to be done. As for document storage itself, you can either store the entire document, or the deltas between versions (uses less disc space) much like a version control system such as cvs, svn, git, et al (all of which are also open source).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.