Hi all,
I am not sure where to start with this one really. I have built the template for my site but, having a few issues in trying to impliment certain things that have to happen.
This site needs to have 3 types of user.
I am using a generalization of how the site works here because to get too specific will take up a lot of space.
1.) overall admin (that would be just me and one other person who needs unlimited access to do everything)
2.) general user
3.) Business

General user and Business have their own profiles, which are very different from eachother so they are in different tables.

The General user can search through profiles of the Business user and reserve an appointment (on the site), based on appointment information provided by the business profile.

Where I am running into the issue is, when a user logs in, I need to keep note of their user type so that I can keep them logged in throughout the site under that type. Pages will have different stuff loaded based on information in the user's profile. For instance, if a general user is logged in, they will see a list of new businesses to the site and "events" that those businesses may be sponsoring that are in their state, or zip code.

I know, my explination of the site isn't all that easy to understand, but, I was hoping that someone could stear me in the right direction here.

Perhaps cookies will do it, but, how would I set different cookies based on the user type (the user type is stored in a field in the user profile).

I know that I do not want to use javascript and that I don't want to add hidden form fields (which would require forms on every page).

Any help?
Thanks
Sage

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Well if they are logged in as a user just store it in session data, the ID of that user at least so you can check when you display the content what the user level is in the database, like SELECT level FROM user WHERE userID = $_SESSION['userID'] Something along those lines

Oh, yeah, this should work.
I haven't used sessions before, so I wasn't sure about this.
Without even having done it yet, I am pretty sure your idea will work.
Thanks
Sage

You need to create a session that will keep track of the user.
Retrieve the userid, and usertype from the database, and save this in the session. Or you can just save the userid, and query the database for the usertype when you want to check their usertype.

http://www.php.net/session

Hi there,i have joined newly to this site....I am a new to programming..i am developing a windows application using c#.net..I have the same problem stated by sagedavis but its windows application.

I have two types of users Admin and Normal users.
I am having one login screen.i want the application to identify the two types of users when they enter their username and password.
i saw the post of using session,but how to initialize the session and how to use it.....

The user login details for both admin and normal users are in a single table called account..
Help me out dude......
Thanks in advance......

Hi there,i have joined newly to this site....I am a new to programming..i am developing a windows application using c#.net..I have the same problem stated by sagedavis but its windows application.

I am having one login screen.i want the application to identify the two types of users when they enter their username and password.
i saw the post of using session,but how to initialize the session and how to use it.....

The user login details for both admin and normal users are in a single table called account..
Help me out dude......
Thanks in advance......

Welcome to Daniweb. Please post your question in .NET forum !

ya ya i saw that......thanks anyway....

Help me out dude......
Thanks in advance......

ok i have exact same question but in php not c#. have tried setting up restricted access depending on the usertype from database. but it only lets the user log in not the admin. any ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.