Ok, so here is the problem. I googled this and this is a known issue, but I haven't seen any good solutions.

Let's say some clicks a button in an Update Panel (VS 2008). Let's say that button results in a Server.Transfer("somepage.aspx"). It doesn't work. Server.Transfer cannot be called from within an Update Panel.

So, how do I transfer the person to a new page and pass values??!

Thanks,
Eric

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

try using cross-page posting, dont use update panel around that button.

So how does that work? Because only in certain circumstances do I want to transfer the user to another page (and pass some values along)... othertimes I keep the user on the current page and update stuff within the panel?

What especially do you want to do?

Ah, I figured this one out. I guess if you want to use a server.transfer within an updatepanel you need to first ScriptManager1.RegisterPostBackControl(WhateverButton) so that the button causes the entire page to update.

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to thank you just in case you come across this. I had been having the exact problem and couldn't find a solution until I stumbled on this page. Thank you for taking the time to come back and answer your own question, it really helped me out!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.