If I have the following code:

<form>
<select id="lstOtherStuff" multiple="multiple" size="6" style="width:200px;">
</select>
</form>

and I need to pass the variable "1stOtherStuff" (which is an element in an array) to a PHP script, how do I do that?

If I use the following code, I can access the file "welcome.php" (where I'd run a MYSQL script to query a value from a database):

<form action="welcome.php" method="post">

Would there be another way to access this file, "welcome.php"?

Or can I put the PHP script immediately after the Select script?

I would like to also use an "onclick" command to initiate the action. So the user would press a button, after making a selection (the selection would then be stored in the variable
"1stOtherStuff"). The selected value would then be sent to the PHP script and the PHP script would "echo" the value back.

The main question I have though is how do I pass the variable, "1stOtherStuff", to the PHP/MySQL script...

Your help would be appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

and I need to pass the variable "1stOtherStuff" (which is an element in an array) to a PHP script, how do I do that?

Have an onchange event for select tag. Submit the page in onchange event. When the form is submitted, you can access the value of the 1stOtherStuff this way. $select_value = $_REQUEST['1stOtherStuff']; Here is a simple example.

<?php
$selected_value = $_REQUEST['select'];
echo "Selected value is ". $selected_value;
?>
<html>
<body>
<form name="form1" method="post" action="onchange.php">
<select name="select" onchange="javascript: document.form1.submit();">
<option value=1>1</option>
<option value=2>2</option>
<option value=3>3</option>
</select>
<input type="button" name="button" value="Click me too!">
</form>
</body>
</html>

If you don't use onchange event, then you can use a submit button. When the button is clicked, the value of select tag is passed to the calling script.

<?php
if(isset($_REQUEST['submit'])) {
$selected_value = $_REQUEST['select'];
echo "Selected value is ". $selected_value;
}
?>
<html>
<body>
<form name="form1" method="post" action="onchange.php">
<select name="select">
<option value=1>1</option>
<option value=2>2</option>
<option value=3>3</option>
</select>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">
</form>
</body>
</html>

If you still have any doubts, let us know :)

@mgt:

Don't create multiple threads for the same topic. It ends up wasting the time of people who reply to those threads thinking there was no reply given.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.