Hello friends,
i copied a table from other database and using in other database, when iam using the same table in other database the primary key in the table is just auto increamenting from the past table only.

i want it to start from 0

Rakesh

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi knrakesh,

Hello friends,
i copied a table from other database and using in other database, when iam using the same table in other database the primary key in the table is just auto increamenting from the past table only.

i want it to start from 0

I don't think it can be done - easily at least (quote taken from http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-sql-mode.html):

NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO

NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO affects handling of AUTO_INCREMENT columns. Normally, you generate the next sequence number for the column by inserting either NULL or 0 into it. NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO suppresses this behavior for 0 so that only NULL generates the next sequence number.

This mode can be useful if 0 has been stored in a table's AUTO_INCREMENT column. (Storing 0 is not a recommended practice, by the way.) For example, if you dump the table with mysqldump and then reload it, MySQL normally generates new sequence numbers when it encounters the 0 values, resulting in a table with contents different from the one that was dumped. Enabling NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO before reloading the dump file solves this problem. mysqldump now automatically includes in its output a statement that enables NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO, to avoid this problem.

Adnan

Member Avatar for langsor

Did you copy the table structure or copy the table and all of its records too?

Because if you copied the records, you are not going to get a new key-sequence with existing records.

Copy the table structure only if you want to start over with new records.

Or I'm not understanding your problem clearly ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.