Hello to all who read this thread,

I am currently developing a PHP web application (alone) which has gotten to a point where I alone cannot do developing on it anymore. I plan on hiring people to develop for me.

My problem is I do not want to give away all of my code to anyone, but rather just give enough information so they can develop what I need. I want to make a module based system where I can tell the coder just the information, but the problem with that is all my code files are well connected with each other due to the fact I am used to coding for myself.

I have no idea where to start; I was thinking of making a SOAP based program but I am unsure on how to do that.
I have seen many web applications that allow other people to upload their modules and run them with the application. I basically need an idea on how or what type of logic people use to create these kinds of modular applications.

Any suggestion will be well appreciated.
BTW I am not a newb to DaniWeb; it is just that my friends started to figure out.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Well for starters you wont be able to have a cohesive, trusting set of developers by hiding your code from them. It will make the code less compatible than it could be. Modularity is good to a point, then all it does is serve to obfuscate code, frustrate developers and make debugging more difficult. I would wholly recommend against that methodology. Is there a particular reason you don't want them to see your code?

Well the main reason I don't want to reveal the whole code is because the application has great potential and it is already producing money(decent amount for its age).

At this moment, I have about twenty features (modules) running. I alone can think of a lot of major improvements for the application and I am not even well experienced programmer as I am not a CIS major.

How would you suggest I can deal with "Trust" issue?

I am open to all suggestions. If anyone disagrees please tell why.
ShawnCplus <-- Good Example.

Well there are better ways around protecting your code such as licensing and NDAs that allow developers to work on your code and still have it be yours.

OK I like the idea about licensing but how to you get the programmers to honer NDA.

Also what are some of the basics for Licensing and I am unfamiliar on how to do this.

sorry for the delay in response...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.