When I use

<?php include("header.shtml"); ?>

to display the header for my website files, I get a gap added above the header when I view it in internet explorer 7 and 8 (not in firefox v2). Some type of character that causes a linefeed is added at run time. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any ideas for how I can keep the gap from appearing at the top of the page.

Thanks,

Concentus

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

well that seems fine it must be something in the header file that is causing it

or padding or something in the css

itisnot_me,

I appreciate you looking at this for me. I continued working on it and found the problem last night. I have been using Expression Web to edit the files and, as I understand it, the encoding that the editor is using is different from what's used on the server. I found that there are certain characters that can be seen at the beginning of the file when editing with us-ascii encoding that aren't seen with the default encoding in Expression Web. I edited and saved the files with a host provided editor and that fixed it.

Thanks,

Concentus

no problem. glad you were able to find the problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.