Hi everyone

I have an idea for something but not sure which method would work best to provide the desired result.

Let's say I have a database up and running, storing data for 2 users (php and mysql). What I want to achieve is: having 2 clients on the page with 2 different machines(different browser), have one user (do something), have the data stored in the database, then have user 2 see what has happened in as close to real time as possible.

Can this be done using JavaScript/Ajax to poll the database and update all browsers with a fast response time (100 ms updates?) is that too much strain for a hosted webserver?

If so, is this something achievable with php sockets?

Thanks!! Posted on my iPhone

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try Comet.

Tomorrow I will look into this Comet Programming more in-depth.

It appears to be a style of coding that I can use to Google search and find more information about, and not a framework itself. Seems like EXACTLY what I wanted.

Do you think this "comet programming" is what helped created Project APE? http://www.ape-project.org/

Basically exactly what I am trying to achieve; to be able to have me do something (or say something) on one browser, and have everyone else with the browser open view it in as close to real-time as possible!

its possible using ajax. as your user will update records and apply functionality at view area to refresh your page at every second using ajax. but it will take little time as client one is entering data and two is accessing from server. there will be difference of few seconds

Do you think this "comet programming" is what helped created Project APE? http://www.ape-project.org/

Yes, it seems they have created a nice API, you should explore this also.

Basically exactly what I am trying to achieve; to be able to have me do something (or say something) on one browser, and have everyone else with the browser open view it in as close to real-time as possible!

This is where comet will be useful :)

Is Comet Programming still just a concept?

Or will I be able to find PHP Comet Programming tutorials and real-world examples?

Very excited to get home from work and start researching/working!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.