hi all,
and
respect for seniors & experts,

i m a free lancer vb6 programmer and wants 2 shift 2 web development.
i m very much confused as 2 which combination of technologies 2 opt.

to opt for open source or not., which client side technology and which server side.

as i m freelancer and takes only small projects, i alone have 2 do web designing & web development, as i runs one man company.

pl. advice

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I currently use Javascript and XHTML for clientside and PHP for serverside. (AJAX is something in between).

PHP and Javascript are easy languages in comparison to VSC++, C++, C and Java. The biggest difference is the you don't have to declare what type (int, char etc...) variables are. So I'd say, go for PHP, JS, XHMTL and AJAX.

Ofcourse there are other options, instead of PHP you could try ASP.NET

You should check out the languages and see what you like, tutorials on all of the web languages can be found at http://www.w3schools.com

~G

ps: Don't use too many 2's instead of "to", it's kind of confusing?

Thanks Graphix for your valuable advice

hi all,
and
respect for seniors & experts,

i m a free lancer vb6 programmer and wants 2 shift 2 web development.
i m very much confused as 2 which combination of technologies 2 opt.

to opt for open source or not., which client side technology and which server side.

as i m freelancer and takes only small projects, i alone have 2 do web designing & web development, as i runs one man company.

pl. advice

thanks in advance

Hi,

Moving from VB6 to web development is definitely confusing and requires to learn so many new skills or even new concepts.

Therefore you should probably look for a solution that requires you to learn as less new skills as possible and that uses similar methodologies as desktop developers are used to.

I would suggest that you take a look at Visual WebGui. It is an open source web development framework that uses VB6 development patterns in order to create Ajax web applications in the same simplicity without having to worry about the multi layers of the web.

It is probably the best starting point for you and would allow you to develop web applications without the hassle of learning those new tricks... You can watch that demo video and see.

Hope this helps you!

thanks rg10, i will definitely consider this option.
what is striking right now in my mind is ajax/vb.net/asp.net.

Thanks again rg10

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.