Hello,

Because of licensing constraints, we're allowed a single Development server where our application will be installed. Supposing I have the tomcat server running on a remote machine in the company's network, let's say that multiple developers should be able to remotely debug that application. Is it possible?? How could it be done?
Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Subversion is answer to your trouble...

Subversion is answer to your trouble...

Actually I believe it isn't. Our problem is not code synchronizing. We just can't have personal instances of the application in our individual computers because we only have one license. Therefore, we need to debug the development server using the remote debugging function on eclipse.
The architecture of our application includes an RMI server running in RIP mode and if I install a tomcat server in my local machine, I can't reference that RMI server in our DEV server, thus I'm obliged to remote debug only.
The problem is that when I set the JVM parameter like this
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n
only one person can debug it at a time.
What I wish to do is set different debug context, running on different ports, so that each developer may debug individually from their personal computers, but when I duplicate that option with another port, it does not work.

Any ideas??

Thanks

> We just can't have personal instances of the application in our individual
> computers because we only have one license

One license of what? Is it something which your application refers to which can't be deployed on different machines? Maybe explaining things in more depth might help us give more relevant solutions.

Anyways, how about spawning different Tomcat processes for each developer? Given that you only have a single development machine, I'm sure it'd be good enough to handle that kind of load.

Thanks for your help and sorry if I did not precise the problem correctly. We work with Enovia Matrix. This consists of an N-Tiers Architecture that includes an oracle database server, a RMI server and a web application. When installing the solution, the RMI server binds to the local tomcat installation and they both run under the same process in the JVM. That's why I can't spawn different tomcat instances, since I would be able to reference the RMI server in question.
That's the reason why I was hoping that the JVM would allow me to set up different debugging profiles, one on each port, so that the listener would understand that a breakpoint coming from a specific IP and port should suspend the execution for debugging, while allowing execution to proceed in case the address is not the expected one. Apparently, from what I read somewhere else, that's not possible, but I haven't lost all hope... =)

Yes, given that you can't spawn multiple instances, it's kinda difficult to get your requirement to work. Anyways, as a last resort, you can always try out the Tomcat user forum.

Thanks for all of your answers. It's actually impossible to have multiple developers debugging the same instance of a tomcat server, or any other jvm process, for that matter, because of loop inconsistency. I'll mark this thread as solved.

Cheers!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.