Hi All!

I have been working on a site containing a single Paypal 'Buy Now' button, but testing has shown that it takes anywhere from 8-20 seconds to load the Paypal page once the button is clicked. Since there is no indication that the button was successfully clicked, or that the page will eventually redirect, I am afraid customers will leave before the page loads.

With that in mind, I am looking for suggestions to improve this process. My initial thought was to pop-up a 'please wait' jquery dialog until the Paypal page loads, but I'm not quite sure how to implement this. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for working around this problem?

Thanks in advance!
-Jim

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If you mean a literal popup window, don't forget that many users have them blocked.
Would the hourglass cursor be enough?
Between those two extremes there are plenty of choices.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you think the hourglass cursor provides enough of an indication to the user?

Being new to this problem I am open to suggestions between the extremes, what recommendations would an experienced developer offer to solve this?

Thanks

Do you think the hourglass cursor provides enough of an indication to the user?

Personally, no. But it is very easy to set.

between the extremes

Here

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
  <head>
    <meta name="generator" content=
    "HTML Tidy for Windows (vers 25 March 2009), see www.w3.org">
    <title></title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
	function showWait(val){
		var oDiv = document.getElementById('overlay')
		oDiv.style.display='block'
		oDiv.style.opacity = val/10;
		oDiv.style.filter = 'alpha(opacity=' + val*10 + ')';
		document.body.style.cursor = "wait";
	}
    </script>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div id='overlay' style=
    "font-weight:900; background-color:pink; position:absolute; top:0; left:0; display:none">
      &nbsp;Please wait...&nbsp;<br>
      <br><br>
    </div><br>
    <button onclick="showWait(5)">PAYPAL</button>
  </body>
</html>

is a toy example.

Great example, thanks for the detail. It took a little work to get things working the way I wanted, but your example gave me the head-start I needed.

Thanks again!
Jim

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.